virtual tape recording
Designed to fit seamlessly into a high-resolution production workflow, the GVS90004NX VTR offers a Virtual Tape capability that allows users to incrementally move to a digital disk based workflow. With this digital disk based technology, the GVS9000 4NXU VTR provides a single flexible platform for content production from live and post production applications.
GVS9000 4NXU VTR is a professional, non-linear VTR with uncompressed dual-link HD 4.4.4 support and provides transparent storage and sharing over dual 2Gb/s fibre and dual gigabit network for a wide variety of digital assets making it the ideal environment for events, broadcast, post house, design and production facility to working storage, transport and archive.
• Professional video I/Os for 4, 8, 12, or 24 SDI composite video converters
• Data I/Os including dual 2Gb/s Fibre and Gigabit Ethernet
• Software tools SDK for three different platforms Windows, Linux and OS X environments providing integration with third party tools
• Live cast during capture or play back in Windows Media or Quick Time
• High speed electronic transfer
• Automated QC opportunities
• Low level integration
• External control via Midi, Sony 9-pin protocols or TCP/IP
• Support for SD, HD and digital intermediate work at 2K and above
• Color space support including both 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and 4:4:4:4(with 36-bit color depth (optional 48-bit internal storage with 4K options)
• Dual layer DVD/RW, Blu-ray or HD DVD mastering option
The GVS9000 4NXU VTR allows up to 16 concurrent HD users to share content at the same time. (media cancapture 16xHD content at the same time). This technology introduces a remarkable production ability to capture live event and edit, and view all convert movies, remove scratches, or edit content in a complete shared environment.
Combined 16 Nomadic storage with GVS9000 4NXU VTR offers excellent performance, integration with a variety of systems, and enables cost effective electronic transfer of high-resolution masters. Beginning with capture (via telecine, direct from digital camera, tape or direct to disk animation) GVS9000 4NXU VTR technology records an exact copy of the original content. Throughout the post process, from color correction to DSR, editing, effects, audio processing finishing and optional down conversion for distribution, 4NXU VTR can integrate with or replace portions of existing systems.
The GVS9000 4NXU VTR offers 8 independent digital, format free audio I/O channels with a choice of 16, 20 or 24-bit audio at 44.1, 48 kHz as well as upgrade to 96 or 192kHz allowing the ability to sync audio to video clips recorded at any frame rate. With unlimited virtual channels and independent channel editing capabilities, the 4NXU VTR supports the most audio requirements during the digital mastering process.
Using visually lossless, highly efficient Quality Encoding fiber base shared image storage the 4NXU VTR provides an accurate digital replica of your projects. Support for 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 48, 50, 59.94, and 60 frame images, progressive, interlaced and segmented frames, drop and non-drop, allows you to work with images at their native resolution and frame rate.
4NXU VTR provides an useful and good platform for HD production and post as well as 2K and 4K digital intermediate to come.
VS9000 VTR specifications
Absolute Max Shuttle Speed
Real time speed
Auto Open Movie on Locate
The GVS9000VTR creates a list of all the movies that can easily be selected and programmed to play through transport commands. Movies respond to timecode and locate commands within the range of the movie timecode.
Build Video Overviews
Automatic generation of filmstrip sequence preview generated for virtual search and stored inside the movie file
Capture TC Correction mSecs
This insures that timestamp on the captured movie is frame accurate to the picture. 9 pin connection.
DV Out Sync
Special settings are designed for each of your output sources, from HD to DV with sync options.
A protocol which emulates a 9-pin video deck providing extremely good overall compatibility, with the ability to select various parameters to insure 100% compatibility.
Enable GPI Event Sequencer
Allowing comprehensive studio control for foley and ADR recording through sync points marked in the timeline
Force Lock To Sound Timebase
This function ensures that timebase is selected from the specific source during capture.
Full Screen On
This provides the ability to have full video source on LCD or video screen.
Include TC track text display when recording
All video in GVS9000VTR timecode tracks can optionally be displayed as a text area above or below the movie.
Limit Capture To
GVS9000VTR offers the specific pre-programming of time and length of footage that would need to be captured.
MTC Stop Overshoot Correct Frames
When chasing timecode, VTR automatically plays when the timecode starts and stops when the timecode stops. This provides complete control of backup and compensation for any timecode ¡¥run on¡?.
MTC overrides Video Hardware timestamp
Allows for manual entry of the timecode track during recording via MTC through Midi, from an external LTC feed, and can be automatically generated or imported from a number of different interfaces
GVS9000VTR can identify itself as a variety of different VTRs. This allows user to choose the status returned by VTR when requested via 9-pin.
True 9-pin control frames are clocked out in sync with your controller, maintaining perfectly drift-free playback at all times.
• Rec/Play time per 1,800 GB 2048 x 1556 (~1.5 hours)
• Visually lossless: 1920 x 1080 4:4:4 (~2 hours)
• SD (~7 hours)
(Storage estimates based on real-world recording tests. Exact storage results vary depending on content, source quality, frame rate, and image settings.)
The overlays options are timecode burns, Feet+Frame burns, free text burns, traditional wipe style Video streamers, 3,2,1 count down punches, German style running cursors, and more. It has an event sequencer to make sure that the right burn appears at exactly the right time, all in real time with out rendering any video.
GVS9000 VTR offers a "Pre-Roll" mode which will automatically pre-cache data and ready to start playback instantly.
Preview During Capture
Its purpose input SDI or HD as well as at its video output.
Relocate to start on stop
Ability to snap back to the start of playback after stopping.
Reopen Bin on startup
Save movies as a document for specific time reload.
Restore Video Settings
The expedited the production, GVS9000VTR creates audio and video setting so any previous parameters can be recalled to ensure the exact form. When VTR enters E-E or record mode, it will use the default parameters saved from session to session
Rollback time Seconds
Instantly moves the video playhead back by a fixed amount.
Scrub Filter Ticks
Accommodates control software issuing long strings of repeated locate commands with the same value to prevent repeatedly relocating to the same position.
GVS9000 VTR can be programmed to chase an external timecode source in order to get the proper video frame to appear to coincide with the incoming frame of timecode.
Superimpose Graphics On Picture
Foley and ADR recording. One of the major architectural additions is for superimposing graphics on top of the movie pictures as they are played. The desired graphics are then applied over the top, and the finished frame is passed to the specified Video output.
Sync Tolerance Frames
Acting as an External timecode source, it constantly tracks the timecode values arriving from a number of different sources such as telecine, direct from digital camera, tape, direct to disk animation or another GVS9000 VTR.
Ability to Sync or bump the picture to Sync.
Video Head Disengage Threshold
GVS9000 VTR allows playback of picture at slower, and faster than real time.
Video Modes InPut:
• Rec/Play time Play visually lossless with 1,800 GB Storage,
• Dual Link with support
• 2K 2048 x 1556 24p, 24psF, 48i
• HD 1920x1080 4.4.4 1080psf 1080psf 23.98 1080i29.97
• SD D1 720x486 720p 60 720p 59.9
• SD D1 720x576 625i 525i 29.97
Video Modes OutPut:
• Dual link 4:4:4 (RGB) I/O
• Dual link 4:2:2:4 Video + Key (YUV) I/O
• Single Link 4:2:2 (YUV) I/O
Analog: SD and HD Output, 12-bits, BNC:
• HD: YPbPr, RGB
• SD: YPbPr, RGB (component mode)
• Composite/YC (composite mode)
• 16/12/10/8 bit YUV/RGB
• QuickTime, Cineon and DPX support
• Quantization: 16-bit, 20-bit, 24-bit selectable
• 8 channels S/P DIF BNC audio
• 6 channels of AES/EBU XLR audio
• 16 Channels of embedded audio per SDI
• 48Khz synchronous
• Upgrade option available to 96Khz or 192 kHz audio support
• Analog: SD: Black Burst, Bi-Level; HD: Tri-Level
• Digital: SD : SD SDI; HD : HD-SDI, QuLink
• 1.8TB Onboard Highspeed Recording Storage
• 4xRemovable RAID Media Sets 2.0TB Storage
• Dual 2Gb/s Fiber Interface for external storage
• 10/100/1000BT Network for small file transfer to DV
• RS-422: D-sub 9-pin
• RS-232: 3-sub 9-pin
• FireWire 800 port and FireWire 400
• USB 2.0 ports (on one front panel), two USB
• Back headphone minijack and speaker
• Optical digital audio in and out
• Stereo audio in and out
Electrical and environmental requirements:
• Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
• Line voltage: 650W 100-125V AC or 200-240V AC
• Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
• Maximum current: 6.5A (low-voltage range) or 9.5A (high-voltage range)
• Operating temperature: 50¢X to 95¢X F (10¢X to 35¢X C)
• Storage temperature: -40¢X to 116¢X F (-40¢X to 47¢X C)
• Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
• Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet
Size and weight:
• Height: 7.3inches (185 mm)
• Width: 17.2inches (437mm)
• Depth: 24inches (610mm) 4U-24
• Depth: 19inches (482mm) 4U-19
• Weight: 39.2 pounds (17.8 kg) (14)
For hard drive capacity measurements, 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less by 5% base on OS. Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process. Product specifications are subject to change without notice. Above specifications may change without notice. GVS9000 VTR designed and manufactured in the U.S. by GVS-Grande Vitesse Systems Inc. c1987-2005 Grande Vitesse Systems, GVS, Tracker and Tracker DDM, GVS 9000, and Metropolis are trademarks of GVS-Grande Vitesse Systems Inc, all other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
3145 Donald Douglas Loop South
390 Fremont Street , San Francisco
tel (415) 777-9937
Fax - (415) 777-9544
advanced technologic sound magazine
2006 May issue 149